Wednesday 24 June 2020

Interpersonal Relationship (Part 5) 12 Tips to Develop and Maintain it.

Dear friends, we have seen in earlier articles about the basics, stages, types, importance and advantages of interpersonal relationship.  If you have not yet read those articles I kindly request you to read them. 

In this article, we shall see 12 tips to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships.  These tips are so much helpful when it comes to connecting with people. If you can practise these tips with the people around you, your professional, as well as private life will be improving a lot.


Let’s see the tips one by one.

1) Appreciate: Always try to find the good in others and if you find that one or two good things, appreciate it. Be curious and use some kind words and praise people. Learn to say a nice thank you whenever someone does something for you. Welcome them nicely when people visit you. If you make others feel good then they will show goodness towards you too.

2) Be a good listener: This is one skill which will be helpful for the rest of your life. Try to be a good listener because everyone needs someone they can vent to or just share when they have something to say. Try to make them feel comfortable by actively listening to them. Your friends and colleagues will appreciate this fact that you listen to them. It will help you in the long run.

3) Communicate effectively: See how you say things and make sure that the other person gets a clear idea to what you're saying. This will help get rid of misunderstandings.


4) Be funny: It is often said that if you can help someone with a smile, you have a moral obligation to do it. So, make them smile, they will love to be with you. Use your sense of humour as an effective way to do it.

5) Don't Complain: Don't be someone who complains all the time, you will be nothing but a fool and for some people 'sympathy gainer'. Even if you want to do it, just do it in front of your close friends and family, but still keep it short.

 

6) Observe the people whom you know relate well with people and know what you really like about them.  Is it the body language?   The pacing of their talk?  Do they ask how you are doing?  Do they pay attention to you? Etc.

7) Practice it.  I work as a teacher, so I meet a number of students and their parents. I practice number 1 with them. When it feels awkward, I take note and try again.  It is said practising makes a man perfect.

8) Be genuinely concerned and interested in the other person.  It removes the nerves you feel.


9) I have a "script" Before I talk, or call a person, I write what I want to say and I structure them. I have an arsenal of what to say in social situations. I hate small talk, but I still make the effort since I want to improve my skills.

10) I laugh at myself and continue to love myself:  when it feels awkward I laugh. When it feels awkward, I reassure myself that it's okay. No need to pressure me.

11) Observe people and learn more:  Observe. Copy. Evaluate. Observe again. Copy. Evaluate.  The more interesting things you know, the more interesting you are.


12) Appreciate silence:  Sometimes, being quiet and listening to the other person is an interpersonal skill itself. Some people love to cut people when they are talking. But when you zip your mouth and listen to what the other person has to say, you are practising a highly prized skill not everybody has.

So, friends, I hope these 12 tips will surely help you to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships.  If you find it very useful, please share it with your friends and relatives so that they also gain something.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Interpersonal Relationship (Part 5) 12 Tips to Develop and Maintain it.

Dear friends, we have seen in earlier articles about the basics, stages, types, importance and advantages of interpersonal relationship.   I...

Popular Posts